Thursday, March 10, 2011
Coin toss and Drawing lots..
I was going through ICC rules regarding Quarter-final qualification at work. And I this cracked me up.
'In the event of teams finishing on equal points in its Group, the right to play in the quarter-finals will be decided in the following order of priority:
* The team with the most wins in the Group matches will be placed in the higher position.
* If there are teams with equal points and equal wins in the Group matches then in such case the team with the higher net run rate in the Group matches will be placed in the higher position (refer below for the calculation of net run rate).
* If following the net run rate calculation above there are teams which are still equal, then the team with the higher number of wickets taken per balls bowled in the Group matches in which results were achieved will be placed in the higher position.
* If still equal, the team which was the winner of the head to head match played between them will be placed in the higher position.
* In the highly unlikely event that teams cannot be separated by the above this will be done by drawing lots. '
I guess it makes sense, but it's so out of the blue. All those dignified sounding tie-breaking techniques and if nothing works... Eenie meenie miney Mo!
Its bizarre how much random selection plays a role in our lives without us realizing it..
Ramblings of Nandita at 2:26 PM